Salem Area Historical Society

Preserve, Protect, Educate

Home Page Dickerson Barn Project Membership - SAHS Stone School
Memorials - SAHS Publications Spirit of Salem Web Links
Annual Dinner/Auction Annual Barn Dance Country Fair Flag Day
Early settlers Salem Historic Buildings Railroads Train Wreck
Eagle Scout Project Meeting Presentations Yearly SAHS Recap Directions
Salem's Historic Buildings
This page contains photos and information about some of Salem's Historic Buildings


 

Salem Walker Church

Landmark: Salem Walker Church
A Greek Revival Architecture Church Built in 1864 by the Methodist Episcopal Church
Location: Salem Township - Southeast corner of Angle Road and Tower Road
Why Landmark: The Salem Walker Church is a Greek Revival Architecture Church built in 1864 that is on the Michigan State Register of Historic Place, site #S630.
Photo by: Terry Cwik
 

The Store

 Landmark: The Store
Location: Six Mile Road  Salem Hamlet of Salem Township.  On the Northwest corner of Six Mile and Salem Roads and Dickerson Road
Why Landmark: This building is one of the original buildings of the Salem Hamlet and is the only business structure still in use from this olden time.  Mr. Albert F. Van Atta opened a General Store in it in 1876.  The floor above the store was used for club meetings, parties, plays and dances.  The store has been in continuous serve to the hamlet.  It even housed the Salem Post Office.
Photo by: Terry Cwik
 
 

The Carey House

Landmark: Carey House
Home of early Salem Township Pioneer
Why Landmark: The Carey Home was built by early Salem Township Pioneers, Asahel Carey (1834-1893) and Jane E. (Crager) Carey (1836-1920).  The History of Washtenaw County of 1881 tells us: "In 1880 Mr. Carey erected a magnificent residence at a cost of $3300.00."
Photo by: Terry Cwik
 
 

The Weed House

Landmark: The Weed House, Greek Revival Architecture, Home of the Weed Family
William H. Weed (1819-1899)
George Weed (1870-?)
Vernon Weed (?-1968)
Restored and owned by Warren & June Todd
Location: Salem Township, 8985 North Territorial Road
Why Landmark: The Weed House is a beautiful Greek Revival Architecture Home that was built by one of Salem Township's original settlers William H. Weed in the 1800's and has been faithfully restored by Warren and June Todd.
Photo by: Terry Cwik
 
 

Salem Bible Church

Landmark: Salem Bible Church
Location: 9481 Six Mile Road Salem Hamlet of Salem Township. On the Northeast corner of Six Mile and Salem Roads
Why Landmark: This building is one of the original buildings of the Salem Hamlet, which grew in size when the Salem Train Depot opened.  It was been continuously used by a church congregation since it was built.
Photo by: Terry Cwik
 
 

The Withee House

 
Landmark: Withee House Home of early Salem Township Pioneer
Location: Salem Township, 6631 Salem Road
Why Landmark: The Withee Home was built by early Salem Township Pioneers, Newel Withee (1844-1928) and Mercie Murray Wihtee (1847-1913).
Photo by: Terry Cwik
 
 

Jarvis Stone School

Landmark: Jarvis Stone School
Location: Northwest Corner of North Territorial and Curtis Roads.
Why Landmark: It is a restored one-room stone schoolhouse that was built in 1857.  It was used continuously until 1967 as a school.  It is now the headquarters of the Salem Area Historical Society.
Photo by: Terry Cwik
 

The Rider House

Landmark: The Rider House
Location: Parking Lot of Salem Township Hall on Six Mile Road  Salem Hamlet of Salem Township
Why Landmark: This is a restored home of the Rider Family, which was one of the original families of Salem Township.  Caption Ira Rider came to Salem in 1830 and served as postmaster, assessor, supervisor and State Representative. Ira, the son, operated a sawmill.  Fred, the grandson, built the house.
Photo by: Terry Cwik
 
 

 

Renwick House

Landmark: Renwick House, Home of early Salem Township Pioneer

Location: Salem Township, 6340 Curtis Road

Why Landmark: The Renwick Home was built by an early Salem Township Pioneer family, the Renwicks.  George and Phoebe Renwick arrived in Salem in 1828.  Their children were: Mary A. Wynkup, John Renwick, George Renwick (Member of the Territorial Legislature, Salem Justice of the Peace and Salem Township Supervisor).

Photo by: Terry Cwik


Photos and Write-ups of the 9 Salem Historic Building (Microsoft Word Format)

 

 

 

Web Hosting Companies